A new free online course in Biological Diversity
Biological Diversity (Theories, Measures and Data sampling techniques), free course on Coursera
The course presents an overview of the theory behind biological diversity evolution and dynamics and of methods for diversity calculation and estimation. We will become familiar with the major alpha, beta, and gamma diversity estimation techniques. Understanding how biodiversity evolved and is evolving on Earth and how to correctly use and interpret biodiversity data is important for all students interested in conservation biology and ecology, whether they pursue careers in academia or as policy makers and other professionals (students graduating from our programs do both). Academics need to be able to use the theories and indices correctly, whereas policy makers must be able to understand and interpret the conclusions offered by the academics.
The course has the following expectations and results:
– covering the theoretical and practical issues involved in biodiversity theory,
– conducting surveys and inventories of biodiversity,
– analyzing the information gathered,
– and applying their analysis to ecological and conservation problems.
Needed Learner Background:
– basics of Ecology and Calculus
– good understanding of English
Follow free on Coursera: https://www.coursera.org/learn/biological-diversity